- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) Earth Balance Buttery Stick or butter, softened
- ¾ cup sucanat or dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¾ cup pumpkin (roasted or canned)
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup quinoa flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups peeled and finely chopped apple pieces (about 2 apples)
- 2 Tablespoons sucanat or dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with the 6 Tablespoons of water and let sit while you start preparing the other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix together the topping – 2 tablespoons of sucanat with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the quinoa and whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large bowl, mix the ¾ cup sucanat with the softened butter until combined. Add the flaxseed/water mixture, pumpkin and vanilla. Stir in yogurt.
- Fold the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Gently stir in the apple chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with the brown sugar topping. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Store any leftover muffins in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.