Tuesday, April 21, 2015

CINNAMON FRENCH TOAST BAKE

I honestly cannot believe it has taken be this long to share this recipe. Probably because I try and focus more on heathy recipes and this isn't exactly health food. It may not be overly healthy, but it is dang good - like the absolute best french toast bake you will ever have! I first had this recipe four years ago when I went to my friend's house to visit her after her baby was born. It was amazing and I had to have the recipe. I have made it for every Mother's Day brunch, bridal shower and baby shower I have thrown ever since. Every time I make it, at least a half dozen women ask me for the recipe. THAT is how you know you have a good recipe worthy of making for every special occasion! What I love about it (besides the fact that I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner) is that it is cheap and super easy. I whip it up the night before so all I have to do in the morning is sprinkle on the topping and bake it for an hour.



Ingredients:
1 loaf french or sourdough bread (or leftover bread/buns of any kind)
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla

Topping:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 stick cold butter - cut up into pieces

Grease a 9x13 pan with butter. Tear apart bread into chunks and distribute in pan. Mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, & vanilla. Pour over bread, cover & store in refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

In separate bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add butter pieces and cut into dry mixture until mixture resembles fine pebbles. Store in a ziplock bag in refrigerator.

The next morning (or after it has sat for several hours) preheat the over to 350 degrees. Sprinkle on topping and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes for a soft, bread pudding like texture and bake for one hour for a firmer, less liquid texture.
(I bake mine for about 50 minutes)

Drizzle some pure maple syrup on top and serve.






1 comment:

  1. Is this what you brought me when I had Savannah?! If so, it was AH-MAZING and I've been meaning to ask you for the recipe, thanks ;) Michelle

    ReplyDelete