We FINALLY got our camper back after six weeks of being in the shop. We decided to have all the windows professionally resealed after watching countless youtube videos of how to DIY it. With the size of the windows, it was one thing we were just not going to tackle. The shop told us it took five guys to take out each window. Yikes!
It turns out the rear window glass has a bad seal after 43 years and is getting moisture between the panes, so we eventually need to look into replacing it. Logan has already started to work with a glass company out of Mt. Horeb to get a new one made and installed. For now, the windows are resealed, so at least there will be no leaks.
Now before I go any further, when I say 'we' when talking about renovating the camper, I really mean Logan. I will help when and where I can and trust me, I always have an opinion on how things should be done, but really the credit for most of our home projects goes to him. We are trying to make all the decisions on things like flooring, countertops, paint colors, etc. together and we do not always see eye-to-eye on this type of thing, but after a few good bickering sessions, we always land on a decision we find mutually acceptable. Truth is Logan would like everything to stay brown and olive and I much prefer white with pops of color. Logan would like a hippie van. As I am all down with the hippie vibe, it still needs some brightening up! ;)
Anyways, here are the 'before' pictures so many of you wanted to see! Like I said, it is for the most part a time capsule from 1972. Only a few things have been changed up on the inside. The previous owners put in a new refrigerator, toilet, and air conditioner. They also took out the bunk bed that was above the bed in the back. We plan on putting one back, but that is a topic for another blog post.
Yesterday, I took the kids to the lake all day and Logan spent the entire day working on the camper. He took everything out that he could and ripped out all the flooring - two layers of carpet. The original shag and some other gross stuff that was laid on top. We were not sure what we would find under the carpet, but to our surprise, we found a plywood floor that has practically no rot! We have to replace a few small boards, but that is all. Today we will take turns pulling staples from the floor. YAY! ;)
(More pictures to come!)