Friday, January 9, 2015

COCONUT RAISIN BRAN CEREAL (PALEO)

Cereal - I loooooooove it. I could eat it breakfast, lunch and dinner. Ellis and Logan love it too. We are just a bunch of cereal eating monsters over here.

I would have to say we have done a pretty decent job of cutting out processed foods in our home, but cereal just kind of stuck around. I have developed a bad habit of eating a bowl of cereal EVERY night before I go to bed and sometimes even in the middle of the night. (hello! nursing mom over here! I am always hungry, oh, and always up in the middle of the night... multiple times... like three times last night to be exact. ugg)

Anyways, I was determined to come up with a better solution, or I guess a substitute for our cereal addiction. Someone a while back (when I had tried eating paleo for like a day and it didn't stick what.so.ever) told me about toasting coconut flakes in place of cereal, so I gave it a go!

I loved it! Don't get me wrong, it isn't exactly like eating a bowl of raisin bran, but it sure is close! I eat mine with good ol' cow's milk, but you can eat it with nut milk if you are choosing to eat paleo. Not only is it good, it is SUPER easy to make.






Ingredients:
- Thick Cut Coconut Flakes
- Cinnamon
- Nuts (optional -I used slivered almonds)
- Raisins

Directions:
1. Preheat the over to 325°
2. Spread out your coconut flakes evenly on a rimmed baking sheet
3. Sprinkle with cinnamon and nuts
4. Bake for about 6 minutes, mixing every two minutes. Make sure you watch them closely b/c they can burn fast. You will want to take them out when they are a toasty brown color.
5.Let cool
6. When cooled, transfer them to a sealed jar or container
7. Pour some in a bowl, add your raisins and milk of choice (coconut or almond milk if sticking with a paleo diet)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good I am so new to paleo can you please tell me the amount of each of the ingredients.Thank you Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete