Wednesday, August 21, 2013

FALAFEL WITH AVOCADO SPREAD

I know some of you are wondering, what is falafel? 

According to Wikipedia, falafel is: A Middle Eastern dish of spiced mashed chickpeas or other pulses formed into balls and deep-fried.

Well, this falafel is neither made with chickpeas, deep fried nor made into balls. 
My definition is: Kind of like a black bean burger. :)

Anyways, Jodie made it for one of our Monday night dinners last year and it has been a favorite in our house ever since. I love it b/c it is delicious, but also b/c I can freeze it. I make a double batch (8 patties), and we usually eat two and freeze six--- or you can just freeze all eight so they are all ready in the freezer for fast dinners. I also make a double batch of the avocado spread and freeze what we don't use in sandwich-size ziplock bags. I freeze enough spread in each bag for two patties b/c when I thaw the patties, I usually thaw two at a time. The avocado spread actually stays green if you freeze it right away. I also think the lime juice helps to keep its color.




Ingredients

Patties:
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips (about 3/4 ounce)
2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil


Spread:
1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream (I never use fat free anything)
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
Remaining ingredients:
Pita pockets
Red onion slices, separated into rings
Microgreens (I skip these)

Preparation:
• To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white); stir until well combined. Shape bean mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) oval patties.
• Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated. (If frozen, cook for about 6-7 minutes each side)
• To prepare spread, combine all ingredients - stir well. 


To assemble:
Spread about 2 tablespoons of avocado spread over patty and place it in a pita pocket; top with onions and greens.

grease the pan and cook each side until crispy
avocado spread

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I loved this dish!! I want it right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks absolutely delicious! I love the idea to freeze the patties and spread in the right combo for easy meals. Time to pin it!

    ReplyDelete