Monday, August 26, 2013

ROASTED BEET SALAD

If I wasn't a graphic designer, I would probably be a beet farmer like Dwight from The Office. :) All joking aside (b/c clearly beets are a serious matter) I flippin' love beets. I have tried them on Ellis' tiny taste buds and she doesn't share my same opinion on the topic. I guess she got her Daddy's looks AND his taste buds since she can suck a lemon dry. ick!

If you're a beet fanatic like myself, give this recipe a try. It is one of my very favorites!


Ingredients:
6 red beets
Organic arugula
Feta cheese - crumbled
Candied walnuts (or toasted almonds)

Dressing:
3 tablespoons orange joice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
a pinch of salt & pepper

Directions:
To make dressing - mix all ingredients together and shake (I love my salad dressing shaker)

To cook beets - preheat oven to 350ยบ. Place beets in a baking pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.  Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a fork.  When cool enough to handle, peel off the skin. (If it doesn't peel off easy, use a carrot/potato peeler.)  Slice the beets into bite-sized pieces.

To assemble - put a few handfuls on arugula on each plate. Add cooked, sliced beets, sprinkle with feta cheese and candied walnuts and drizzle with dressing.




No comments:

Post a Comment